Pecatonica "Crooked River"
Pecatonica's early settlers first arrived in the area in 1835. Pecatonica's name comes from the Native American word, "peeketolika," which means, "crooked river." A man named Dan Reed laid out the area, calling it Pecktonick. In 1852, speculative investors purchased the land from Reed and decided to change its name to Pecatonica. After that, the Village experienced rapid growth and was incorporated in 1869. Today, Pecatonica is home to the Winnebago County Fairgrounds, one of the best school systems in the state, several welcoming houses of worship, and an excellent park system that includes a nature trail extending from both sides of the Village on the old railroad bed.